Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Occupations and Anxieties

Classes started this week, and I've been spending the last few getting ready for them. Real life beckons, and the Dancing Fairy Plums of Weddingtopia have been forced into a background position. I see them over there in the corner with their little arms crossed, scowls on their faces, tapping the toe of one shoe in a gesture of extreme annoyance. Like archeology students forced to take an ethnographic methods class, they're rolling their eyes and sneering, wondering what valid purpose my current activities could possibly serve.

::Hush, little darlings... if I don't do this other stuff, I won't be able to keep you in the fairy dust to which you have grown accustomed...::

As for other aspects of Real Life, I'm wondering if there is going to be a very small townhouse at the end of a cul-de-sac in a suburban backwater in my future. Actually, there is one now, but the idea was to go for an upgrade upon the merger. However, that requires selling the very small townhouse at the end of a cul-de-sac in the suburban backwater in order to kitty up the necessary down payment, to say nothing of getting a mortgage. And, of course, that other buyer would have to get a mortgage, too. Meanwhile, the pundits are yammering away about how that is well nigh impossible right now. 

Summer of 2010, anyone? 

Speaking of that, I do have the date poll up in a revised form, with more careful consideration of the summer travel plans of others and the winter breaks of those with ties to elementary education. World, have your say. Is December really such an awful time for people...?

1 comment:

Dee said...

Isn't a bummer when real life intervenes? With work ramping up for me as well, projects around the house have languished. My house faeries are upset, just like your wedding faeries.

Good luck, too, negotiating the real estate woes! I feel for ya!